- Our graduates will be leaders of the profession and the society.
Program Educational Objectives
The civil engineering program seeks to prepare graduates who, after the first few years of their professional career, will attain, to a high degree, the following objectives:
- Graduates should be engaged in analyzing, designing, and overseeing construction of civil infrastucture systems.
- Graduates will be employed in civil engineering and related professions or will be pursuing advanced studies.
- Graduates will be effective in teamwork, interdisciplinary context, and communicating with technical and broader communities through written, oral, and visual formats.
- Graduates will demonstrate professionalism, leadership, and ethical and societal responsibilities; and will be engaged in lifelong learning.
- Graduates will be productive and creative, and will rate their education as effective.
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
- Apply knowledge of mathematics through differential equations, calculus-based physics, chemistry, and at least one additional area of science, consistent with the PEOs
- Apply knowledge of four technical areas appropriate to civil engineering
- Conduct civil engineering experiments and analyze and interpret the resulting data
- Design a system, component, or process in more than one civil engineering context
- Explain basic concepts in management, business, public policy, and leadership
- Explain the importance of professional licensure